Escaping single quote in username...

Jason Hoffman JHoffman at MDTTX.com
Wed Mar 22 17:12:49 GMT 2000

Hello,

One of our Windows Administrators set up a username with an apostrophe (
single quote ) contained within the username on our Windows NT server ( It
is truly amazing that Windows NT User administrator allowed this *$?!& ).  I
am trying to grant access to a samba share to this individual, but do not
know how or if it is possible since he has a single quote contained within
his name.

Does anyone know if the standard backslash will work?

For Example, if the Windows login id is "d'obrien" , can I put the entries
in smb.conf as "d\'obrien".

Jason Hoffman
IT Systems Support
Magnetic Data Technologies