Netlogon Not Executed on Win98 Client

Jim McCorison jimmcc at stratcoinc.com
Wed Mar 22 01:05:59 GMT 2000

Greetings,

I have configured Samba 2.0.5a as the master domain controller in a
Samba server / Win98 client configuration (no NT anywhere) and most
everything works great. Users are authenticated and shares are
browsable. I configured the [netlogon] share using the example from the
Blair book. Right out of the block it worked like a champ.

However, at some point the netlogon.bat stopped being executed by the
client. The file is still created, all the shares are browseable, etc.
It just doesn't get executed.

I've checked, double checked, and triple checked my configuration and
can find no problem. I searched through all the archives and found no
pointers to this problem. Does anybody out there have any ideas?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-Jim

As follows is my smb.conf file:

# Global parameters
[global]
        workgroup = UCUCC
        netbios name = SOPHIA
        server string = Sophia - Samba 2.0.3
        encrypt passwords = Yes
        min passwd length = 6
        smb passwd file = /usr/local/samba/private/smbpasswd
        deadtime = 5
        logon script = /usr/local/samba/netlogon/%U.bat
        logon path = \\%N\%U\.winprofile
        domain logons = Yes
        preferred master = Yes
        domain master = Yes
        wins support = Yes
        security = user
        print command = /usr/bin/lpr -r -P%p %s
        lpq command = /usr/bin/lpq -P%p
        lprm command = /usr/bin/lprm -P%p %j
        queuepause command = /usr/bin/lpc stop %p
        queueresume command = /usr/bin/lpc start %p

[netlogon]
        path = /usr/local/samba/netlogon
        root preexec = /usr/local/samba/bin/mklogonscript %U %m
        root postexec = rm /usr/local/samba/netlogon/%U.bat

[profiles]
        comment = Windows Roving Profiles
        path = /usr/local/samba/profiles
        read only = No
        root preexec = /bin/mkdir /usr/local/samba/profiles/%U;
/bin/chown %U /u
sr/local/samba/profiles/%U; /bin/chmod 700 /usr/local/samba/profiles/%U
        fstype = FAT

[ucucc]
        comment = UCUCC Files
        path = /usr/UCUCC
        read only = No
        fstype = FAT

[system]
        comment = Install Files and Drivers
        path = /usr/UCUCC_system
        admin users = @admin
        write list = @admin
        fstype = FAT

[hannah]
        comment = Office Laser
        path = /tmp
        print ok = Yes

[homes]
        comment = User's Home Directory
        path = /home/%U

As follows is the mklogonscript:

open LOGON, ">/usr/local/samba/netlogon/$ARGV[0].bat";
print LOGON "\@echo off \r\n";
print LOGON "NET USE G: \\\\SOPHIA\\ucucc\r\n";
print LOGON "NET USE H: /HOME\r\n";
print LOGON "NET USE I: \\\\SOPHIA\\system\r\n";
print LOGON "NET TIME \\\\SOPHIA /YES /SET\r\n";
close LOGON;

--
Jim McCorison
Strategic Connections, Inc.