Samba file access by GID - what am I missing???

Peter Samuelson peter at cadcamlab.org
Tue Mar 21 03:28:40 GMT 2000

[Darren Nickerson]
> Right, I expected this. I'm sgml.sgml now. Great! I should have write
> access, right? Well, I don't. The test file (mode ----rw----) is
> marked read-only. I'm unable to write to it. If I get the properties
> of this file on Win95, I see:

Make sure the file isn't owned by you.  Ownership permissions override
group permissions, so ----rw---- means the owner has no access.

> But remember that read-only file? I can rename the bugger!!! Yup, I'm
> asked by windows if I really want to rename this read-only file, and
> when I say yes, viola:

Learn about Unix file permissions.  You can rename or delete a file as
long as you have write permission to the directory it is in.  (The
exception: if the directory has its sticky bit (--------t) set, you can
only rename or delete files that belong to you.  This helps prevent
people from screwing with each other in /tmp.)

This is fairly unintuitive for many people new to Unix, and is quite
different from how most other operating systems do things.  (The reason
for these semantics has to do with the Unix paradigm for what a file
actually is.  It's *not* a directory entry.  In most non-Unix operating
systems, a file and a directory entry are seen as pretty much the same
thing.)

Peter