samba-2.0.7pre2 compilation on SunOS 4.1.4 with --with-utmp

David Lee T.D.Lee at durham.ac.uk
Mon Mar 20 16:10:40 GMT 2000

Re:

> Date:   Mon, 20 Mar 2000 07:53:47 GMT
> From:   Andrew J Cole <A.J.Cole at cbl.leeds.ac.uk>
> To:     samba at samba.org
> Subject: samba-2.0.7pre2 compilation on SunOS 4.1.4 with --with-utmp
>
> samba-2.0.7pre2 (out of the box) compiles and works well on my test
> file server; however after ./configure --with-utmp the compilation
> fails...
>
> Andrew
>
> ..
> smbd/connection.c: In function `utmp_fill':
> smbd/connection.c:328: structure has no member named `ut_user'
> smbd/connection.c:329: structure has no member named `ut_id'
> smbd/connection.c:332: structure has no member named `ut_pid'
> smbd/connection.c: In function `utmp_yield':
> smbd/connection.c:400: structure has no member named `ut_type'
> smbd/connection.c:400: `DEAD_PROCESS' undeclared (first use in this function)
> smbd/connection.c:400: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
> smbd/connection.c:400: for each function it appears in.)
> smbd/connection.c:401: structure has no member named `ut_exit'
> smbd/connection.c:402: structure has no member named `ut_exit'
> smbd/connection.c: In function `utmp_claim':
> smbd/connection.c:435: structure has no member named `ut_type'
> smbd/connection.c:435: `USER_PROCESS' undeclared (first use in this function)
> *** Error code 1
> make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `smbd/connection.o'

The "--with-utmp" is very new, and very experimental.  It also appears
that every O.S. has its own flavour of utmp and utmpx.  There is even,
apparently, some mendacity in one particular OS ...

It is highly likely that you are the first person ever to try SunOS 4.x .
So you are probably the best placed person to attempt the port!  But note
the word "attempt".  As far as I can see, from a set of SunOS 4.x manuals
that have been collecting dust and insects here for a few years, that OS
has neither "utmpx" functionality nor, more importantly, a subroutine
interface onto utmp/wtmp.

Any SunOS 4.x port will require a willing volunteer to do it, with direct
access to a test machine.  The comments in "smbd/connection.c" should
point you in the right direction, and warn of some of the things that
should be considered.

Best wishes.  (You're in a UK university, I see.  Give me a ring if you
wish to discuss it further.)

:  http://www.dur.ac.uk/~dcl0tdl            South Road            :