Network crashes while compiling

Jörg Preiß J.Preiss at gastrofix.com
Fri Mar 17 16:16:12 GMT 2000

I am using SuSE 6.3 with Samba 2.0.6, and swat to configure samba.
When I compile with Visual Studio on a samba share, I get very often a
message "System could not write nack xyz.idb" and my network connection
crashes. In the console I see the message "transmit timed out, switching to
10base-TX" and "transmit timed out, switching to 100base-TX" until I reboot.
I am using a tulip card on a 100base network.

I didnt see any interesting lines in log.smb, but its quite strange that
there requests from other networkers because I set all name serving
machanisms to off (second config)

This problem also occurs when I unzip a lot of files, so I think it has
something to with the traffic. It is very urgent to solve the problem, else
I have to change to a nt server (aargh!). The network crashes about 2 times
an hour.

This one fails very often:

[global]
	workgroup = myworkgroup
	netbios name = me
	server string = me
	encrypt passwords = Yes
	map to guest = Bad User
	unix password sync = Yes
	log level = 3
	deadtime = 15
	keepalive = 30
	read prediction = Yes
	socket options = SO_KEEPALIVE TCP_NODELAY
	os level = 2
	local master = No
	hosts allow = 194.136.121. 194.136.122.
	dos filetimes = Yes
	dos filetime resolution = Yes

[homes]
	comment = My home is my castle
	read only = No
	create mask = 0750
	directory mask = 0750

Second try:

[global]
	workgroup = myworkgroup
	netbios name = me
	server string = me
	encrypt passwords = Yes
	map to guest = Bad User
	unix password sync = Yes
	log level = 3
	nt smb support = No
	deadtime = 15
	keepalive = 30
	read prediction = Yes
	socket options = SO_KEEPALIVE TCP_NODELAY
	os level = 0
	local master = No
	hosts allow = 194.136.121. 194.136.122.
	dos filetimes = Yes