Samba vs PAM

William R. Knox wknox at mitre.org
Fri Mar 17 11:31:07 GMT 2000

Samba will authenticate against the smbpasswd file when the parameter
"encrypt passwords" is set to true in the smb.conf file. In order to use
a PAM based password, you are going to have to disable the encrypt
passwords parameter. This means, if you are using NT 4.0 SP3 or greater
or a more recent release of Win95 (I can't remember exactly which) or
any release of Win98, that you will have to enable clear text passwords
from the desktop with a registry hack. See the Win95.txt and WinNT.txt
files in the documents tree in the Samba directory for details.

Let me know if this works out for you. Good luck!

--
			Bill Knox
			Senior Operating Systems Programmer/Analyst