Samba vs PAM

Marek Les marek at ryston.cz
Fri Mar 17 10:25:32 GMT 2000

Hello..

I wonder, in which way Samba supports PAM? I downloaded
samba-2.0.6-19991110 and there I found in changelog it's compiled
with --with-pam..

My desire is to authenticate Samba users against Novell NDS. I
managed to do this (under Linux) with many programs but Samba somehow
resists :)

I put something like this into /etc/pam.d/samba :

auth       required     /lib/security/pam_ncp_auth.so use_first_pass
server=some_server

But Samba still authenticates against smbpasswd :( .. one more
question - is there a way to completely disable the need of smbpasswd
if I want to authenticate _only_ against Novell NDS ?

Please help :-)

Thanx..

     Marek "MaX" Leš