Differing Win & Linux user names

Herb Lewis herb at chomps.engr.sgi.com
Thu Mar 16 18:42:38 GMT 2000

> Daniel Foster wrote:
>
> First off I'll admit that I'm a bit of a newbie to Samba and Linux so
> sorry if this is a dumb question, but I had a look and couldn't find
> the answer anywhere.
>
> How do I map a username on a Windows 98 box to a different username on
> a Linux box?  For example, if my username on a Windows machine was
> 'Daniel Foster' and my username on the linux box was 'dan' how do I
> make it so the share for my home directory on my Linux box was
> available?
>
> I tried putting a line like
> dan = "Daniel Foster"
> in smbusers but it didn't seem to help.  What is smbusers for anyway?
> I can't find any mention of it in the docs.
>
> Thanks, Dan.
>
> ---
> If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends?
>                                                 - Rob Gee
>
> Daniel Foster - daniel at blackomega.com

check out the username map option in smb.conf

          username map (G)

               This option allows you to specify a file containing a
               mapping of usernames from the clients to the server.
               This can be used for several purposes. The most common
               is to map usernames that users use on DOS or Windows
               machines to those that the UNIX box uses. The other is
               to map multiple users to a single username so that they
               can more easily share files.

               The map file is parsed line by line. Each line should
               contain a single UNIX username on the left then a '='
               followed by a list of usernames on the right. The list
               of usernames on the right may contain names of the form
               @group in which case they will match any UNIX username

Herb Lewis                                   Silicon Graphics
Networking Engineer                          2011 N Shoreline Blvd
Strategic Software Organization              Mountain View, CA  94043
herb at sgi.com                                 Tel: 650-933-2177
http://www.sgi.com                           Fax: 650-932-2177