Hello!

Urban Widmark urban at svenskatest.se
Tue Mar 14 23:14:26 GMT 2000

On Tue, 14 Mar 2000, Doug Warren wrote:

> If anyone has a plain text document with all the current samba
> documentation in one document, please let me know where I can download
> such a beast.

On redhat6.x you have most docs in /usr/doc, so the samba docs would be
something like: /usr/doc/samba-2.0.6/docs/textdocs
Not sure where mandrake stores it, but probably somewhere similar. Those
docs would probably be the "plain" samba docs, not necessarily with any
modifications that the mandrake distribution has made.

Getting all of the samba docs as one file would then be something like
cat * > my-big-textfile
in that directory. But was that really what you wanted? The samba docs
cover a lot of different areas ... I don't think they are meant to be read
from top to bottom.

I have found that reading the comments in the configuration file smb.conf
(normally /etc/smb.conf) and
man smb.conf
gets you a long way to having it up and running.

And if you can't find the docs locally you have them on the samba site. My
local mirror is at:
http://se.samba.org/samba/ftp/docs/

Also this page is nice:
http://home.germany.net/101-69082/samba.html
It is lynx friendly and has a table of contents so you can jump to the
part matching your problem.

/Urban