unix to unix via samba?

Cambria, Mike mcambria at lucent.com
Tue Mar 14 15:16:07 GMT 2000

Hi,

I've setup samba for the first time and can see Win98 and WinNT 4.0 shares
from my FreeBSD machines.  Conversely, I can see "Unix Shares" from both
Win98 and WinNT 4.0

I followed the instructions found in
http://us1.samba.org/samba/docs/DIAGNOSIS.html
<http://us1.samba.org/samba/docs/DIAGNOSIS.html>

One thing I cannot do is have the FreeBSD machines use Samba to communicate
with each other.  However, I can use smbclient on a FreeBSD machine to see
itself (on of the tests in http://us1.samba.org/samba/docs/DIAGNOSIS.html
<http://us1.samba.org/samba/docs/DIAGNOSIS.html> )

I keep getting userid/password errors, but I am using the same one to access
the FreeBSD machines from the Win machines.

Any thoughts?  Both FreeBSD machines are at 3.4-Release, using Samba 2.0.6
from the ports collection.

If it matters, I needed to use encrypted passwords on the unix Samba config
to access the Win98 and WinNT machines.

Thanks,
MikeC