Sharing Dos/Windows drives from a Linux system

Steve Cohen stevecoh at mcs.com
Mon Mar 13 13:42:26 GMT 2000

Peter Samuelson wrote:

> [Steve Cohen]
> > I was not so lucky with /mnt/dosD, trying myriad different
> > combinations of umask, uid and gid values, none of which did any
> > good.  And, of course, you can't chmod on one of these drives.
>
> It still sounds like a permissions problem from the Unix end -- nothing
> to do with Samba.
>
> Try, as an experiment:
>
>   umount /mnt/dosD
>   mount -t vfat -o umask=0 /dev/hdb1 /mnt/dosD
>
> What you probably really want is something like
>
>   mount -t vfat -o umask=2,gid=XXX /dev/hdb1 /mnt/dosD
>
> where XXX is the numeric group number for the group of users to which
> you want to give write access to your DOS partition.
>
> > /dev/hdb1     /mnt/dosD       vfat     noexec,nodev,nosuid,rw 1 1
>
> /dev/hdb1       /mnt/dosD       vfat    umask=113,gid=XXX       1 1
>
> Note that `nodev,nosuid' are unnecessary for `vfat', `rw' is already
> the default, and `noexec' is implied by `umask=113'.
>
> Peter

Thanks Peter, unfortunately, these solutions don't work for me,
although they sound logical.  When I try them, the user or group I set
the id of using uid= or gid= are not even allowed to cd into /mnt/dosD
under unix, let alone under samba.

However, another user suggested the following, which does work:

/dev/hdb1 /mnt/dosD noexec,noauto,user 0 0

Then, in rc.local mount the drive with:

su USERID -c "/bin/mount /mnt/dosD"

I'm curious as to why your way doesn't work, but this way does.
Perhaps it would be helpful to note that this samba being executed
on Redhat Linux 6.1.  Is there yet some Samba configuration issue that
prevents the samba user from being recognized as the same user ID# but
which somehow successfully resolves the name of the Windows95 login?