SAMBA digest 2446 / tar problem

Axel Neumann amn at cromemco.com
Mon Mar 13 13:10:44 GMT 2000

Gunnar Lindholm wrote:

>Hello.
>What do you suggest I should do if I wanted to mount a lot of
 windows-shares
>onto a linux machine and do a single tar backup on all the windows files
onto a
>linux tape drive.
>There is NO free harddisk space on the linux machine, and it is only
possible
>to store ONE backup session on the tape.
>I can only use smbtar for one client at a time, as I understand it. Please
tell
>me if I'm wrong on this.

>It seems to me that all I can do is to use (smb)mount to mount them all,
and
>then do tar.

Hello,

If you want to have all Windows-shares in one single archive you have to
smbmount all shares.

If you want to have a single archive per Windows-share you have to use
smbtar with the non-rewinding tape device driver. With this you will have
multiple archives on a single tape.

Both options have their pros and cons but I believe that the last one is
easier to handle when restoring a Windows-share.

Best regards,

Axel Neumann