Sharing Dos/Windows drives from a Linux system

Wandered Inn esoteric at denali.atlnet.com
Sun Mar 12 14:56:38 GMT 2000

Hey Steve, funny meeting you here. (inside joke).  I've done something
similar to this.  I had a fat parition that was mounted to a Linux box
that I shared to via Samba to a win95 box to provide (read and write)
access to an Outlook mailbox file.

There's probably more than one way to do it.

I have the following entry in my /etc/fstab file:

/dev/hda4	/mdrive	vfat	noauto,user	0 0

Which permits the ordinary user to mount this drive.

I then added an entry to my rc.local file that says:

su WIN95ID -c "/bin/mount /mdrive"

This mounts the drive with the same user id as the id that I log into
the win95 machine.   The win95 machine automounts the share and I'm
good.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at denali.atlnet.com

I'm afraid there will be more problems with W2K than there were with
Y2K...