Sharing Dos/Windows drives from a Linux system

Steve Cohen stevecoh at mcs.com
Sun Mar 12 04:16:41 GMT 2000

Thanks for the advice, but it's only been partly effective for me.
I was able to chmod a+w /mnt/zip and thereby get write privileges to
this drive.  I was not so lucky with /mnt/dosD, trying myriad
different combinations of umask, uid and gid values, none of which
did any good.  And, of course, you can't chmod on one of these drives.
Here is the relevant section of my /etc/fstab -
maybe you can see what the problem is.

/dev/sda4	/mnt/zip	vfat	 user,noexec,nodev,nosuid,rw,noauto 1 1

/dev/hdb1	/mnt/dosD	vfat	 noexec,nodev,nosuid,rw 1 1

And this is in the smb.conf

[mvD]
    path = /mnt/dosD
    comment = Drive D on MesaVerde's Dos partition
    writeable = yes
    guest ok = yes

[zip]
   path = /mnt/zip