Sharing Dos/Windows drives from a Linux system

Peter Samuelson peter at cadcamlab.org
Sat Mar 11 23:37:33 GMT 2000

[Steve Cohen]
> has Windows drives which I have mounted under Linux, so that
> /mnt/dosC is the C: drive when booted under DOS.  Also, this machine
> has a Zip drive connected to it and known as /mnt/zip.
>
> >From a Windows 98 machine connected to this machine, connecting
> through Samba, I can see these shares.  I can read any file in them.
> I cannot, however, write to these shares, even though they are
> specified as writable.

Sounds like a simple Unix permissions problem.  Does the same user have
permission to write to those directories from Unix?

Since msdos and vfat under Linux do not store any file access
information (other than the MS-DOS `readonly' bit), the whole mounted
partition is owned by a single user and group and is set to a single
permission mask.  Investigate the `uid=', `gid=' and `umask=' options
you can put in your fstab.  (`man 8 mount')

Peter