Restricting browsing by share w/security=domain

Gerald Carter cartegw at Eng.Auburn.EDU
Thu Mar 9 13:53:03 GMT 2000

balamw at att.net wrote:

> Shares which are restricted only to a select group
> (using valid users) are showing up in other users browse
> lists (Network Neighborhood or smbclient -L) even though
> they have absolutely no rights to the directory. I
> realize this is also how NT works, but samba is usually
> not bound by such things. ;-)
>
> Thus, in a sense I'd like it to behave like [homes]
> where only I can see my home directory. I seem to recall
> that at one point it did work that way although I'm not
> sure if I was using "security=shares"
> or "security=server" at the time.

You can use the include parameter to insert share
definitions based upon criteria such as username or
primary group name.  This would be the easiest solution i think.

Cheers,
jerry
                            Gerald ( Jerry ) Carter

                                  - Sting "Message in a Bottle" ( 1979 )