smbpasswd on solaris 2.6

Dave Hunter spike at ican.net
Wed Mar 8 21:12:18 GMT 2000

Hi,

I am running samba on linux and solaris 2.6. I have no problem making
encrypted passwords work on linux meaning I have Windows 98 and NT users
able to map a drive to their home directories on the samba server.

I am having problems doing the same thing on solaris 2.6. I have run the
mksmbpasswd.sh and the smbpasswd file got created. I have added the
following lines to my smb.conf file:
    encrypt passwords = yes
    smb passwd file = /opt/samba/private/smbpasswd

I did everything the same as I did on Linux - slackware 7.0

The error I am getting is when I try as the root to change a user's
smbpasswd, I get the following message:

    make_smb_from_nisp: NIS+ lookup failure: Error in accessing NIS+
cold start
    file  ... is NIS+ installed?

When I try as the user to change my smbpasswd I get:

    machine 127.0.0.1 rejected the password change: Error was : The
specified
    password is invalid.

When prompted for the old smbpasswd I just hit enter because there is
nosmb  passwd yet.

Do you have any suggestions for this situation....

Thanks

Dave Hunter
mailto:dhunter at saultc.on.ca