Clear text passwords ?

Kelvin Edwards kelvin at jlab.org
Tue Mar 7 16:22:50 GMT 2000

First the setup:

    samba server running samba-2.0.5a on Linux
    samba client mounting /home/username from samba server
    NT DCs on network
    Note that I am *not* trying to mount a share from NT --  only from
     a samba server to what I'm calling a samba client   NT is only
     to be used for authentication if necessary.

The problem:

   As I understand it, when the client goes to mount their home
   directory (via smbmount) from the server they must authenticate
   via a password. This password is then sent to the server which can
   then authenticate via the NT DCs or Unix passwords, depending
   on the security level in teh smb.conf file.  In either case, the
password
   is sent via clear text from the client to the server for
authentication.

Is this correct ?

Is there a way for the client to authenticate without sending a password

over the network in clear text ?

Kelvin Edwards
kelvin at jlab.org