Problem with file permissions getting changed

Chuck Carson ccarson at phi.org
Tue Mar 7 01:50:39 GMT 2000

I had a user modify his profile in his home directory with WordPad via Samba
2.0.6 and saved the changes. Samba changed the file permissions of the
.profile to 740. (Not even the user's umask setting) What parameters can I
look into to force Samba to retain existing file permissions? I saw
something related to creating new files and forcing perms etc.. but nothing
to this effect. I am running Samba 2.0.6 on Solaris 2.6. The client station
was a Win98 box.

One more thing, even though I set "hide dot files = yes" users can still see
'dot files' if they change the windoze folder view settings. Can this be
prevented within Samba somehow?

Here is my homes share def:

[homes]
   comment = Home Directories
   browseable = yes
   writable = yes
   printable = no
   write list = @admgroup
   read list = @usergroup
   hide dot files = yes
   follow symlinks = no

(This particulair user is in the admgroup group)

Thanks greatly,

Chuck