Users and shares

John E. Malmberg wb8tyw at qsl.net
Tue Mar 7 01:30:12 GMT 2000

Peter Samuelson <peter at cadcamlab.org> wrote:

> [Goonetilleke, Anthony]
> > I know this question has probably been asked several thousand times
> > but I cannot find an appropriate answer.  Can someone tell me how I
> > can enable a single NT workstation user (SP5 encrypted passwords)
> > connect to several Unix users home dirs, while prompting for a
> > password each time.
>
> >From the same Unix host?  NT has a limitation where it won't knowingly
> connect to the same machine with two different sets of credentials.
>
> I think you can accomplish this with the `netbios aliases': set up
> several aliases for the same Unix machine, and get each home directory
> from a different one.  That may be the best you can do.
>
> (The alternative is to set up multiple IP addresses on the machine and
> refer to those when you connect.  Or even use multiple Sambae.)

I find this curious, as I use two NT Resource kit utilities to do just that
on a regular basis from a Windows NT Workstation.   The VDESK utility, and
the SU service.

There is no problem with connecting using multiple users from the same
workstation to the same or different share points on the a specific server.

In addition, the connect to share dialog box in NT has a "Connect AS"
option.

-John
wb8tyw at qsl.net