Samba on an AIX - HACMP Cluster

itsore08 at us.ibm.com itsore08 at us.ibm.com
Tue Mar 7 21:46:22 GMT 2000

Andreas,

I've used Samba 2.02 with a 2 node HACMP cluster in Melbourne.

Just configure the Samba processes and disks in a HA resource group, with
start and stop scripts, etc.

After failover, the NetBIOS name is resolved to the replacement host
(either via WINS, or transparently if you are using IP and MAC address
takeover). Client connections remained active after the failover.

ITSO are currently producing a Redbook on Samba that will probably document
this configuration. We may also cover load balancing with Network Director.

> From:   Andreas Trawoeger <Andreas.Trawoeger at wgkk.sozvers.at>
>
> Has anybody experience in running Samba on an IBM AIX High Availability
> Cluster with 2 nodes? At the moment we are using NFS + Maestro NFS-Client
> for NT and want to change to a server software using SMB (meaning either
IBM
> FastConnect or Samba).
>
> The server is supposed to be a file server for about 1000 Users. We don't
> need advanced futures like load balancing or take over of active
> connections. But it should be possible to switch a NetBios name plus
shares
> between two nodes in case of a mutual takeover.

Goodluck,
Steven P.