emulating NTFS in SAMBA over LINUX

Chris Watt cnww at chebucto.ns.ca
Thu Mar 2 23:21:50 GMT 2000

At 08:04 AM 3/2/00 +1100, you wrote:
>hello dear samba users...
>
>I need to create a share which supports the NT file permissions. So, I can
>add some users or groups for read or write access for one single file or
>directory.

Not sure exactly what you want here. If you just want to be able to pre-fab
a set of permissions so that a user's read/write access is controlled, you
can simply set the UNIX file permissions in the filesystem you are sharing
to reflect this policy, but that would not permit you to change the
permissions remotely (not by SMB anyway, you could do it by NFS or Telnet).
I don't believe that there is any way to make Win9x explicitly recognize
the existance of file permissions or change them, but WinNT/2k should be
able to deal with them if you have set the "create mask", "directory mask",
"directory security mask", apropriately for your share.
--

Who is this General Failure, and why is he reading my hard disk?