smbpasswd error message

Christoph Singer cs at ccss.de
Thu Mar 2 09:52:31 GMT 2000

Hi,

I have successfully installed Samba on a Solaris2.7 system and created the
smbpasswd file using mksmbpasswd.sh

Now I want to set passwords for all users. But when I try to run
"smbpasswd" or "smbpasswd username" as root the following error message
occurs:

--------------
make_smb_from_nisp: NIS+ lookup failure: Error in accessing NIS+ cold
start file... is NIS+ installed?
Failed to find entry for user root.
Failed to change password entry for root

Why does smbpasswd call "make_smb_from_nisp"? I'm not using NIS+ on this
machine. All local Unix users passwords are stored in /etc/passwd.

Any solutions?
Thanks
Christoph