smbpasswd failure

Paul Hewitt paul at livetoad.com
Wed Mar 1 20:59:08 GMT 2000

<esoteric at denali.atlnet.com>
> To:     samba at samba.org
> Subject: smbpasswd failure
>
> I've attempted to change my smb password on a
remote NT PDS, but it
> always fails with
>
> resolve_name: Attempting lmhosts lookup for name
SERVER<0x20>
> getlmhostsent: lmhost entry: 127.0.0.1 localhost

> resolve_name: Attempting host lookup for name
SERVER<0x20>
> Connecting to nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn at port 139
> error connecting to nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn:139
(Connection refused)
> unable to connect to SMB server on machine
SERVER. Error was : code 0.

esoteric at denali.atlnet.com

No light here, but...this is the same error I
reported a while back (and another person
reported, too, in this same list) only the
smbpasswd command fails here for an ordinary user
even when issued on the Smaba box itself (a Sun
E3K).  The only reply I got was from Jeremy, who
said this issue doesn't arise on their setup (SGI,
I recall).

What is your server?  Where are you running
smbpasswd?