WINS browse sync!

John Hester jhester at momtex.com
Wed Mar 1 19:33:24 GMT 2000

> I have the two networks a.a.a.a and b.b.b.b
>
> Both on them I have domain logon server & WINS serwer
>
> How to setup than in network neightbourhood i can see form network a.a.a.a
> network b.b.b.b and vice versa?
>
> (a.a.a.a it is different domain than b.b.b.b)
>
> I try the option remote browse sync - it works partially - in network
> neightbourhood i see the domain b.b.b (from net a.a.a) but when i try to
> get in i have error - the b.b.b can not found....
>
> It works only when on client i setup TWO WINS serwers (one from a.a.a.a
> second from b.b.b.b) - how make it works correctly (with only one WINS serwer)?

I have a somewhat similar setup with only a single WINS server:

Samba server             WINS server
    \                      /
     \                    /
    router--------------router-------multiple Winxx desktops
     / 111.111.10.0     111.111.2.0
    /
Samba server

Here are relevant settings from smb.confs for the two Samba servers:

[global]
        workgroup = MOMENTUM
        netbios name = JUPITER
        name resolve order = lmhosts wins host bcast
        os level = 65
        preferred master = Yes
        domain master = Yes
        wins server = 111.111.2.113
        remote announce = 111.111.2.255 111.111.2.113
        hosts allow = 111.111.10. 111.111.2.

[global]
        workgroup = MOMENTUM
        netbios name = PLUTO
        name resolve order = lmhosts wins host bcast
        local master = No
        wins server = 111.111.2.113
        remote announce = 111.111.2.255 111.111.2.113
        hosts allow = 111.111.10. 111.111.2.

If you're using an NT PDC (I'm not) you probably don't want to use the
same OS level, preferred master, and domain master settings as I have.
I think the correct settings for use in conjunction with an NT PDC would
be: OS level=0, preferred master=no, domain master=no, local
master=yes/no (depending on which subnet PDC is on - 'no' if NT PDC is
on same subnet as Samba server, 'yes' otherwise).  An NT PDC by default
acts as a browse master.

John Hester
Momentum Group