Using DDNS as a backend for WINS?

Bob Franklin r.c.franklin at reading.ac.uk
Wed Mar 1 18:08:48 GMT 2000

Hi,

We've just added a dynamic subdomain on our DNS servers for W2K's
Active Directory stuff.

While I can't comment on the AD stuff, the DDNS (on BIND 8) seems to
work nicely (so far - fingers crossed!) and replicates well between
our DNS servers.

Has anyone done any work on turning WINS lookups (of all record types)
into DNS lookups, and WINS [de]registrations into DNS updates?  [Since
this would solve the lack of WINS replication in Samba problem.]

I see Samba can now fire off commands when WINS registrations happen,
is there something I can slot in to do DDNS updates and lookups in a
specific domain (e.g. 'wins.mydomain.com').

Apologies if there's been something about this already and I missed it.

Thanks in advance,

  - Bob

--
 Bob Franklin <r.c.franklin at reading.ac.uk>     Tel. +44 (0)118 931 8432
 Systems and Communications, IT Services, The University of Reading, UK