Bug report: find_subnet_for_nmb_packet(): response record not found...

Johan Walles johan at softsys.se
Wed Mar 1 14:00:45 GMT 2000

Hi!

I'm using Samba 2.0.6 on a Redhat 6.0 Pentium box with kernel 2.2.14.  In
the log.nmb log-file, the following message appears from time to time:

[2000/03/01 10:26:27, 0]
nmbd/nmbd_packets.c:find_subnet_for_nmb_packet(1406)
  find_subnet_for_nmb_packet: response record not found for response id
17564
[2000/03/01 10:36:24, 0]
nmbd/nmbd_responserecordsdb.c:find_response_record(240)
find_response_record: response packet id 17568 received with no matching
record.
[2000/03/01 10:36:24, 0]
nmbd/nmbd_packets.c:find_subnet_for_nmb_packet(1406)
  find_subnet_for_nmb_packet: response record not found for response id
17568
[2000/03/01 11:37:25, 0]
nmbd/nmbd_responserecordsdb.c:find_response_record(240)
find_response_record: response packet id 17587 received with no matching
record.
[2000/03/01 11:37:25, 0]
nmbd/nmbd_packets.c:find_subnet_for_nmb_packet(1406)
  find_subnet_for_nmb_packet: response record not found for response id
17587
[2000/03/01 12:17:35, 0]
nmbd/nmbd_responserecordsdb.c:find_response_record(240)
find_response_record: response packet id 17599 received with no matching
record.
[2000/03/01 12:17:35, 0]
nmbd/nmbd_packets.c:find_subnet_for_nmb_packet(1406)
  find_subnet_for_nmb_packet: response record not found for response id
17599
[2000/03/01 13:43:05, 0]
nmbd/nmbd_responserecordsdb.c:find_response_record(240)
find_response_record: response packet id 17627 received with no matching
record.
[2000/03/01 13:43:05, 0]
nmbd/nmbd_packets.c:find_subnet_for_nmb_packet(1406)
  find_subnet_for_nmb_packet: response record not found for response id
17627

Our Win95 (or possibly -98?, he's on vacation currently so I can't check)
using CEO is having some problems connecting to the Samba server that
might be connected to this error.  There are no errors listed in the
log.biblos (biblos is his computer) file.  He has a portable computer, and
when he's connected through an ethernet adapter at work, he can access the
Samba server just fine, but when he's at home, working over a PPP link, he
can't.  The error message he gets (a rough translation from Swedish) is:

"
Unable to attach to \\Samba
The name of the computer or resource could not be found.  Verify that you
entered it correctly and try again.
"

In spite of this, he can search for the Samba server, and find it even
when he is at home, the only trouble is he's unable to connect to it.  If
that has anything to do with it, the WINS server for our domain is a
"real" NT4 server, i.e. not the Samba server.

found a couple of unanswered questions about the very same message.  I
have read the FAQ.  I have grep:ed through /usr/doc/samba-2.0.6/* for
find_subnet_for_nmb_packet without any hits.  I have looked on DejaNews.
I have searched www.alltheweb.com for find_subnet_for_nmb_packet.  I have
read the man-page of nmbd.  All without getting any hints as to what may
be wrong.

So, some help would be really appreciated!

  Thanks //Johan

[ Softsys Datakonsult AB                          Office: +46-8-6320045  ]
[ Finlandsgatan 52                                Mobile: +46-70-6476976 ]
[ S-164 74 KISTA                                  Fax:    +46-8-6320043  ]
[ SWEDEN                                                                 ]