Samba 1.9.x vs 2.0.7 not connecting to MS DOS Server

Urban Widmark urban at svenskatest.se
Fri Jun 30 20:35:43 GMT 2000

On Sat, 1 Jul 2000 rnunlist at purcell.cchem.berkeley.edu wrote:

> I am not sure if this is a bug or a feature...
>  The 2.0.7 version no longer wants to connect to a DOS 6.22/DOS LANMAN2.1
> (wg1049.exe) server. Version 1.9.18 does work.
> Both smbclient and (more importantly for our needs) smbmount fail.

For smbmount:

What kernel version(s) are you using?

The support for older protocols was removed in smbfs in linux 2.2.16,
with the comment:
  - removed support for old protocol levels. It didn't work anyway and
    was cluttering things up a lot.

old = anything but win9x/NT/2k, I think.

Does simply switching smbmount from 2.0.7 to 1.9.18 make it work? should
be impossible with 2.2.16, but perhaps not if you are using an earlier
version.

/Urban