one printer doesn't print under samba

Kourosh Ghassemieh kourosh at loop.com
Thu Jun 29 04:36:53 GMT 2000

I have a problem I hope someone can help with.

I have TLS 6.0 set up to provide print services to Win98 clients using
samba.  There are two printers, an HP LaserJet 4050 and an HP DeskJet 950C,
both attached to separate JetDirect 170 print servers.  The HP4050 works
wonderfully, no problems at all.  The 950C doesn't work.  The printer is
available when browsing and can be installed on the clients without
problem.  When a print job is sent the job is accepted by samba and placed
into the print queue defined by samba (in this case /var/spool/samba, which
is the default set during installation) and I can see the job in the queue
when I list the directory. I know that the printer is set up correctly on
the server because I can send print jobs to the printer manually from the
server using the lpr command.  The problem seems to be that samba does not
seem to pass the print job to lpr.  I have set up the 950C the same way I
set up the 4050 and the 4050 works while the 950 doesn't.  I can manually
send the print jobs from the samba print queue to the printer by using the
lpr command from the command line of the server.

I don't know why one printer works properly but the other doesn't.  Any
suggestions?  I have included my smb.conf and printcap files below for
reference.  I have made no changes to lpr.perm and lpr.conf since
installation and I have not used the Turboprintcfg utililty because it
doesn't work properly for me.

I've tried troubleshooting in various ways, including running checkpc for
lprng, testparm, testprn(sp?), logging on/off and nothing.

Help would be greatly appreciated.

TIA
Kourosh

My smb.conf with the shares snipped out

# Samba config file created using SWAT
# from 192.168.2.12 (192.168.2.12)
# Date: 2000/06/23 12:48:35

# Global parameters
[global]
         workgroup = ATLANTICPEARL
         netbios name = HERA
         server string = Samba Server %v %h
         interfaces = eth0 127.0.0.1
         bind interfaces only = Yes
         encrypt passwords = Yes
         passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
         unix password sync = Yes
         log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
         max log size = 100
         os level = 65
         preferred master = Yes
         domain master = Yes
         wins support = Yes
         socket address = 192.168.2.100
         hosts allow = 192.168.2. 127.0.0.1
         hosts deny = all
         printing = lprng
         level2 oplocks = Yes

[printers]
         comment = all printers
         path = /var/spool/samba
         printable = Yes
         print command = /usr/bin/lpr -r -P%p %s
         lpq command = /usr/bin/lpq -P%p
         lprm command = /usr/bin/lprm -P%p %j
         browseable = No

[homes]
         comment = Home Directories
         writeable = Yes
         browseable = No

[shared]
         --snip--

[install]
         --snip--

[hp4050]
         comment = Main shared printer, HP LaserJet 4050
         path = /var/spool/samba
         writeable = Yes
         printable = Yes
         printer = hp4050
         share modes = No

[dj950c]
         comment = Shared color printer, HP DeskJet 950C
         path = /var/spool/samba
         writeable = Yes
         printable = Yes
         printer = dj950
         share modes = No

My printcap file

# networked HP laserjet 4050

hp4050
    :cm=HP LaserJet 4050
    :lp=192.168.2.150%9100
    :sd=/var/spool/lpd/hp4050
    :mx=0

# networked HP deskjet 950C

dj950
    :cm=HP DeskJet 950C
    :lp=192.168.2.151%9100
    :sd=/var/spool/lpd/dj950
    :mx=0

-

Kourosh Ghassemieh
MindWare Information Systems & Technologies
9255 Sunset Blvd, Penthouse
West Hollywood CA 90069
(310) 729-1784, (310) 271-9807 fax
kourosh at loop.com

++++++Networking the Small Business++++++