Signal 11 (cause and workaround found)

Rudolf Kollien Rudolf.Kollien at medas.de
Wed Jun 28 18:18:46 GMT 2000

I encountered an bug in samba 2.0.7.

With the config option "logon home = \\%N\%U\profile" in smb.conf and
roaming profiles, smbd panics when the share "%U" is not listed in smb.conf.
I had some users for which i forgot to enter the accompanying share in
smb.conf. When such a user logged in or logged off, smbd paniced with signal
11. While on logging off the profiles where written from the client to the
server, all profile entries except the directories got lost. As you can
imagine, this caused heavy problems when the user "roamed". Unfortunately
the error is not reproduceable at _any_ time. Means, sometimes there is no
"panic" nor the profiles got lost. But after appling the "workaround" (see
end of mail) there were no more "panics" or lost profiles over days. The
"panic" only occured to users with shares not explicitly listed in the
smb.conf. Also this error didn't occur in versions prior to 2.0.6. I think
there is a problem with the new code regarding the differences in "logon
home" and "logon path" as the panic only passes on logging on and off.

The "environment" for "userX" is:

all client systems are Windows95a/b/c.
unix username = userX
windows logon name = userX
home directory of userX in /etc/passwd = "/u/samba/pc/userX"
the home directory is rwx for userX and owned by userX
there were NO share entry [userX] in smb.conf

smb.conf looks like:

[global]
  dead time = 15
  os level = 65
  time server = yes
  domain master = yes
  local master = yes
  preferred master = yes
  wins support = yes
  security = USER
  encrypt passwords = yes
  lock directory = /u/samba/locks
  server string = "samba %v on %h
  workgroup = AWORKGROUP
  preserve case = yes
  short preserve case = yes
  client code page = 850
  domain logons = yes
  name resolve order = host wins
  logon script = startup.bat
;-->    logon path deals with WinNT only
  logon path = \\%N\%U\profile
;-->    logon home deals with Win9x (net use h: /home) and profiles
  logon home = \\%N\%U\profile

[homes]
  comment = User Home-Directories
  browsable = no
  read only = no
  public = no
  create mode = 0700

Workaround!

After i added:

[userX]
  comment = Home for UserX
  path = /u/samba/pc/userX
  valid users = userX
  public = no
  writeable = yes
  printable = no

to smb.conf, no more "panics" are encounterd or profiles got lost.

If a member of the samba team needs a log (at loglevel=3) please mail to me.

Regards
Rudolf Kollien
email: Rudolf.Kollien at medas.de
       Rudolf.Kollien at kollien.de
Never trust a operating system you have no sources for