Samba error codes

Urban Widmark urban at svenskatest.se
Wed Jun 28 15:57:15 GMT 2000

On Thu, 29 Jun 2000, Enrico Payne wrote:

> Hi, I am a newbie to this list and to Samba, and have a concern about my
> Samba servers.
>
> I am getting a number of messages on the consoles of both my Samba servers,
> it reads "smb-retry: signal failed, error=-3"

"smb_retry: signal failed, error=%d" is a message from smbfs (a smb client
for mounting smb shares, related to smbmount) and doesn't have anything to
do with the samba servers.

This error is caused by smbfs trying to reconnect to the server and
smbmount not responding. Probably because it has crashed.

What version of samba does your smbmount come from and what linux kernel
version are you running? The only problem with smbmount in samba 2.0.7 I
know of is that if the server terminates and the client accesses the share
while the server is down smbmount will terminate. I have a patch for that
somewhere (but I don't have the URL handy right now).

When you mount smbfs the smbmount program (mount.smbfs) is the one
responsible for opening the connection to the server. If that connection
needs to be opened again smbfs tries to signal smbmount, if it fails the
mountpoint will be dead and you have to 'umount' it manually.

/Urban