smbmount cannot browse large NT directories

Urban Widmark urban at svenskatest.se
Tue Jun 27 17:30:13 GMT 2000

On Wed, 28 Jun 2000, Ben Tilly wrote:

> This is a problem I get with various versions of Samba, up to and including
> 2.0.7.  (The version shipped with Debian.)

It's not in smbmount, it's in smbfs. What kernel version are you using? It
should be fixed in 2.2.14 and up. It is NOT fixed in 2.3/2.4-test since
that smbfs code has not received the fixes made to 2.2.

> I mean that "ls *" comes up blank, however if you know the filename, "ls
> foo.txt" will still find the file and you can access it without problems.

You should get an error message from smbfs in your syslog.

> I do not have a simple test case for which ones have trouble, here is what I
> know.  All of them have several thousand entries.  A list of random files

If you want to play with it here is a zip I made when I ran into this (the
569 files are all supposed to be empty).

http://www.hojdpunkten.ac.se/054/samba/samba-dir.zip

/Urban