Odd WINS Problem

William R. Knox wknox at mitre.org
Tue Jun 27 11:52:44 GMT 2000

Well, I hate to add to the "me, toos" out here, but the same thing has
been happening to us on an unpredictable schedule for months. Here is
some more info -

Solaris 2.6 machines running 2.0.4b and 2.0.7.

Multiple Windows NT 4.0 servers running SP 5 acting as WINS servers.

One other odd piece of behavior - when it happens, it seems to affect
ALL of our samba servers registered with the same WINS server at once
(or at least within a matter of hours - we know when it happens fairly
quickly, but not instantly), while the samba servers registered with
another WINS server are unaffected.

I sent out a note to this list about half a year ago and only heard a
brief chatter of "me, toos" and then nothing. Has anyone seen any
similar behavior and come up with a solution, or at least a root cause?
Hell, I'll take even a possible cause. The only solution we've come up
with is to stop and start the nmbd process every now and again in order
to force it to reregister with the WINS server. But that smacks of the
maintenance reboots that I hear NT admins have to do ;-)

--
			Bill Knox
			Senior Operating Systems Programmer/Analyst