Network printing

John Ryan jryan at kgv.edu.hk
Mon Jun 26 04:32:46 GMT 2000

Luis Luna wrote:

> Okay here is the scoop. I have Samba up and running (latest version), works
> great. It is running under linux (Caldera 2.3 flavor). What I would like to
> do now is share some printers (HP 4M/V, HP 650C, HP 4 Plus, Epson 3000, HP
> Photo 1100, Lexmarx, Savin Copier) that are connected to HP and Linksys
> print servers and some JetDirect cards. Is there a detailed how-to
> somewhere? How do I go about doing something like this. I know this might be
> the wrong forum, but I have posted at linux sites and no response so far. I
> thought that maybe someone here has done this before and can point me in the
> right direction. I can share a printer connected to the lpt1 port, but these
> are tcp/ip ports on hp printer servers and cards. I know this has to be able
> to be done. The clients are of course NT and 98 boxes. The printers are
> right now connected to an NT box sharing them out. Took about 10 minutes to
> set each printer up and share it. I download the HP WebAdmin software even
> though it was only for freebsd and Red Hat Linux, course it refused to load
> under the caldera version.
> Just thought I would ask. Thanks for any info and sorry if this is the wrong
> list.
> Luis Luna
> mailto:luis at btr-architects.com

Here's a few entries from our printcap file that might help you. I think
the thing you need to know most is the value of the rm and rp parameters.
These are remote ip and remote port.  Most of the entries below are for
AXIS print servers, direct ports, or through another Unix box. ie
ColourLazer is an HP 5000 network printer
Staff is port LPT1 of an Axis print server
A3Lazer is an 4500 on an Axis print server
SSCHP4000 is an HP4000 on another Unix box

There's an excellent writeup in
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/samba/chapter/book/ch07_01.html

You don't need any filters etc. 'cause that's done on the Windows side.
# /etc/printcap
# These entries are for networked printers around the school

ColourLazer|:sd=/var/spool/lpd/ColourLazer:sh:sf:rm=10.1.0.52:rp=LPT
Staff|:sd=/var/spool/lpd/Staff:sh:sf:rm=10.1.0.50:rp=LPT1
A3Lazer|:sd=/var/spool/lpd/A3Lazer:sh:sf:rm=10.1.0.51:rp=LPT1
G1-HPIII|:sd=/var/spool/lpd/G1-HPIII:sh:sf:rm=10.1.0.53:rp=LPT2
SSCHP4000|:sd=/var/spool/lpd/SSCHP4000:sh:sf:rm=10.1.0.54:rp=lp
Oce3155|:sd=/var/spool/lpd/Oce3155:sh:sf:rm=10.1.0.60:rp=LPT

Regards
John Ryan
KGV School