re; Startup

Chris Watt cnww at chebucto.ns.ca
Sat Jun 24 03:35:45 GMT 2000

At 12:48 PM 24/06/00 +1000, you wrote:
>Being new to Linux (RH62) and Samba, I have a simple question and that is
>does Samba load automatically when the server is rebooted or do I have to
>write a script or configure a setting to have Samba load at bootup?

If you have installed Samba from the RPM package for Redhat Linux (as
opposed to downloading the tar.gz file and compiling it yourself) then it
will have created an initscript called /etc/rc.d/init.d/smb and it will
have inserted symlinks to this in your various runlevel scripts
directories. In Redhat probably the easiest way to check if Samba is
starting automatically is to start the Setup utility /usr/sbin/setup,
select "System services" from the menu  and scroll through the list until
you come to the service named "smb". If it's not in the list then you
haven't got an initscript for Samba, if it's present and has an asterisk
beside it then it's starting automatically when the system boots, if it's
on the list but has no asterisk then the script is present but it is not
being started automatically (you can start it manually with the command
"/etc/rc.d/init.d/smb start" or use the setup utility to make it start
automatically).
--

Who is this General Failure, and why is he reading my hard disk?