(original had no subject)

Chris Watt cnww at chebucto.ns.ca
Fri Jun 23 01:42:39 GMT 2000

At 11:39 PM 22/06/00 +1000, you wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I just downloaded the latest version of Samba in the form of
samba-latest.tar.gz
>Managed to unzip it with gunzip but cannot figure out how to install it.
Tried rpm but didn't work.

>I have an earlier version of Samba (2.0.6) on my SuSE 6.4 machine already.
>Can I just install the new version or do I need to do some sort of
uninstall of the previous version first.

Not to be impolite (well ok, to be slightly impolite) but the
samba-latest.tar.gz is NOT a pre-compiled ready to go no-muss-no-fuss
binary package (like RPM is designed to deal with). That file contains the
latest source code for Samba. If you have the correct developement
libraries, a C compiler, and the ability to use it then you CAN install
Samba from that, but it is likely to take you a few hours if you know what
you're doing, and a good deal longer if you have to learn (hint: start by
buying a book on C programming in a UNIX or Linux environment, ideally it
should cover ANSI C and GNU Make).

As for the previous version of Samba, yes, you have to un-install it before
you can install a new one (without creating a mess you may not be able to
clean up without re-formatting your hard disk). If your system uses RPM the
sensible thing to do would be to download the most recent pre-packaged RPM
of samba, which would be
http://samba.isca.uiowa.edu/samba/ftp/Binary_Packages/redhat/RPMS/6.2/samba-
2.0.7-20000425.i386.rpm and install that.
--

Who is this General Failure, and why is he reading my hard disk?