smbstatus fails with "Segmentation fault"

David Collier-Brown David.Collier-Brown at canada.sun.com
Thu Jun 15 12:50:20 GMT 2000

Arnold Troeger wrote:
| Yes, I did find a bug.  The problem is Samba 2.0.x and the 64 bit
aspect
| of Solaris 2.6 (Sparc, not Intel).  Specifically, it's the configure
| script that compiles the program.  The configure script sets
CPPFLAGS to
| -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64.  This evidently screws
up
| the offset calculations for identifying locks in the locking_shm.c
| routines.

	In that case, I'd look at the offset calculation that's
	being screwed up!

| I have no idea why you would want to compile large file support into
Samba
| as neither Windows, nor Linux, can currently handle large files.

	Large files are standard Unix, and are being phased in
	by all vendors as we speak: it's a really bad idea to
	try to compile them out, as you would be choosing to depend
	on something that the vendors promise to remove!

| Samba compiles with warning messages about shifting counts being too
big
| (ntrans.c, reply.c, trans2.c and util.c) when the large file support
flags
| are removed.  What's more, smbstatus now works.

	Those warnings are the tip-off: we need to hunt down the
	erroneous shifts and repair them.

| Has anyone tried compiling Samba 2.0.7 in Solaris 8 for Sparc
| architecture?  Does the 64 bit support work properly?

	I can reproduce the segfault on a 64-bit Solaris 8, but
	never saw it on my (former) 2.6 or 2.7 machines, or
	Solaris 8 compiled in 32-bit mode.

	Please note:
		Solaris 2.6 is a 32-bit os with 64-bit filesizes.
		Solaris 7 can be run as either a 32 or 64-bit os,
			and has 64-bit filesizes in either case.
		Solaris 8 ditto.
	Sun compilers default to building 32-bit binaries for
	any of those Solarii: these include 64-bit filesizes
	defined as long longs.

	Am I correct in thinking you're compiling with gcc in 32-bit
	mode, or are you building a 64-bit samba application?

	[Followups redirected to samba-technical at samba.org]

--dave
Work: (905) 415-2849 Home: (416) 223-8968 Email: davecb at canada.sun.com