Q: mounting shares with space inside name

Peter Samuelson peter at cadcamlab.org
Wed Jun 14 23:02:30 GMT 2000

[Heiko Nardmann <h.nardmann at secunet.de>]
> mount -t smbfs -o username=nardmann,password=xxx "//machine/for internal
> use" internal_use
>
> I always get the message
>
> Could not resolve mount point internal

Eyeballing smbmount source...done.

  A quick look suggests that smbmount should handle spaces just fine.

Downloading util-linux source...done.
Eyeballing mount.c...done.

  The source is a bit convoluted.  Inconclusive.

Compiling with -g...done.
Running gud-mode...oops, no debugging symbols.
Relinking because stupid makefile links with -s...done.
Single-stepping...done.

  Seems to work fine.  I should have saved myself some effort and just
  tried the whole thing sans source, sans debugger, sans everything.

I must conclude that you are using a different version of smbmount
and/or util-linux than I am.  I have the Debian-packaged util-linux
2.10f and smbfs 2.0.7.

Peter