port 139 problems

Brian Noecker bnoecker at corp.webb.net
Wed Jun 14 20:30:33 GMT 2000

I'm trying to setup Samba for the first time.  I have followed
documentation, gotten password files setup, joined a domain, and now I'm
trying to start the daemons.  I start the nmbd fine, and can see it in
Netowrk Neighborhood.  However, when I try to start smbd with
/usr/local/samba/bin/smbd -D, it fails immediately.  The log.smb shows:

[DATE] smbd/server.c:main(641)
	smbd version 2.0.7 started.
	Copyright Andrew Tridgell 1992-1998
[Date] smbd/files.c:file_init(216)
	file_init: Information only: requested 10000 open files, 1014 are
available.
[Date] lib/util_sock.c:open_socket_in(863)
	bind failed on port 139 socket_addr=0.0.0.0 (Address already in use)

Any ideas?

The daemons do not start when put in the inetd.conf file and sent a kill
-HUP to the inetd either.

Brian Noecker
Webb Interactive Services
Network Operations