Samba and Linux ACLs

Peter Samuelson peter at cadcamlab.org
Sun Jun 11 12:57:32 GMT 2000

[Andreas Gruenbacher <a.gruenbacher at bestbits.at>]
> Now people keep asking me over and over again about ACL support in
> Samba. Is there any working code yet? Which platforms are you going
> to support?

They keep asking you because we keep pointing them to your site.

HP wanted to ship Samba with their OS.  To gain both functionality and
credibility, they wrote an ACL implementation for Samba that works on
HP-UX and is relatively modular so it can be adapted for other Unices.
Jeremy Allison is putting this code into an upcoming release, and has
said publicly that he wants to support, if possible, Linux via your
acl.bestbits.at work.

> I'd be very interested in Linux ACL support in Samba. If any of you
> guys want to discuss ACL issues, feel free to use the Majordomo list
> <acl-devel at bestbits.at>, email me, etc.

Conversely, you might keep an eye on <samba-technical at samba.org> --
although, if you crosspost threads to there, be aware that the Samba
list daemon strips out CC information, so people who only read
samba-technical won't know where to crosspost their replies.

Peter