interface negotiation questions (slightly off-topic)

Urban Widmark urban at svenskatest.se
Thu Jun 8 22:38:15 GMT 2000

On Fri, 9 Jun 2000, Stephen L Arnold wrote:

> Howdy:
>
> This is (at least slightly) off-topic, but I've seen more
> knowledgeable folks than I mention autonegotiation in this venue and,
> since I didn't get any response on the vortex-bugs mailing list, I

That's too bad, try linux-net or linux-kernel, and maybe a Cc to
Andrew Morton <andrewm at uow.edu.au>. He has been fixing problems with the
3c59x driver in both 2.2 and 2.3/2.4-test.

> I have a Dell PIII-500 with a 3COM 3c905c (Tornado) NIC, running
> RedHat 6.1, samba 2.05a (I know, I'm planning on upgrading samba real

Upgrade your kernel to 2.2.16 ...

> eth0: Transmit error, Tx status register 82.

... it should make these go away, at least 2.2.16-pre2 did for me. Then
report again (to a better place) if the duplex/performance stuff is still
a problem.

You want 2.2.16 anyway:
http://www.linux.org.uk/VERSION/relnotes.2216.html

> Is there anything else I forgot to ask?

No, I think you asked almost everything ;-)

/Urban