samba head

dxf at dewittross.com dxf at dewittross.com
Wed Jun 7 14:05:12 GMT 2000

I was wondering if anyone could help me out.

I read the Samba-PDC LDAP howto for both the HEAD
and TNG samba versions.  Since it appears the TNG
LDAP stuff isn't functional, I wanted to try to
setup samba using the older HEAD schema.

I have tried several times to to compile the
10/15/99 samba on a linux box using the 2.2.14
kernel, but I consistantly get the same compile
error.  I have compiled and installed the current
1.2 ldap version.  I put the contents of
./ldap/include/ in /usr/local/etc/openldap/lib/
and the contents of ./ldap/libraries/ in
/usr/local/etc/openldap/lib/.

When I compile I get this error:

Compiling client/clitar.c
Linking bin/smbclient
/usr/lib/libreadline.a(shell.o): In function
`get_home_dir':
shell.o(.text+0x11c): multiple definition of
`get_home_dir'
lib/username.o(.text+0x974): first defined here
/usr/bin/ld: Warning: size of symbol
`get_home_dir' changed from 138 to 37 in shell.o
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [bin/smbclient] Error 1

I don't think this has anything to do with the
LDAP libraries, because I get the error wheter I
configure --with-ldap or not.

Anyone have any ideas what may be causing this and
how I can fix it?  I would really like to get this
working to test out the viability of using Samba
w/ ldap as an alternative to upgrading our current
file server.

--
Daniell Freed
Computer Services

He who fights with monsters might take care
lest he thereby become a monster.
And if you gaze for long into an abyss,
the abyss gazes also into you.

Beyond Good and Evil