SAMBA digest 2548 / How to use NT authenticate?

Axel Neumann amn at cromemco.com
Tue Jun 6 14:07:08 GMT 2000

Big-tiger wrote:

>I'm using samba-2.0.7 on RH-6.0 .
>Now I'm using /etc/smbpasswd to authenticate users.
>I wonder if samba can use one's NT account (including password) to
>authenticate him?(That's to say,samba redirect all authentication to a
>NT PDC).
>I have the following setting in [global] section:
>security = server
>password server = *
>--------------------------
>Every time I must provide password in smbpasswd to be authenticated
instead >of my NT password.
>I do not want to join a NT domain!
>BTW:How do I know accuratly which is the PDC in our subnet?

Hi,

You have to specify "security = domain" to authenticate against a PDC. Your
setting means authentication against any other ordinary Samba server.

For more details about joining a NT domain look into DOMAIN_MEMBER.txt in
the documentation path of your source distribution or on the Samba web
site.

HTH,

Axel Neumann