problem with print command file name substitution

Peter A Bryant Peter.A.Bryant at mainroads.qld.gov.au
Mon Jun 5 04:57:04 GMT 2000

We have recently upgraded from Samba 1.9.16 to Samba 2.0.06,
for serving files and printers to our NT4 clients.

Since the upgrade, printers that were working are no longer printing.

Most of the printers work fine, but printers that have a "print command"
in the printer share are not printing, only spooling the file.

The print command works ok when typed into the command line.
I have narrowed the problem down to the %s substitution not working,
since if I replace %s with a file name, it prints that file from the right tray
and with the right paper size.

The printer shares are listed below.  The hp8000 printer prints,
but hp8000_a3 and hp8000_a4  only spool the file.
As I said before, the print command works when typed on the command line.

Has anyone got any suggestions as to why this is happening
and how I can get around the problem.

Thanks in advance
-peter.

;/* -------------------------------------------------------------------- */
;/* HP LaserJet 8000 DN print services                                   */
;/* -------------------------------------------------------------------- */

[hp8000]

          ; include standard print service parameters
     include = /opt/samba/lib/conf/conf.printers/smb.conf.hplj8000dn

          ; printer name for print service
     printer = hp8000

[hp8000_a3]

          ; include standard print service parameters
     include = /opt/samba/lib/conf/conf.printers/smb.conf.hplj8000dn

          ; printer name for print service
     printer = hp8000

          ; print command
     print command = lp -o "A3 tray3" -d hp8000 %s

          ; print service description
     comment = HP LaserJet hp8000 DN (A3)

[hp8000_a4]

          ; include standard print service parameters
     include = /opt/samba/lib/conf/conf.printers/smb.conf.hplj8000dn

          ; printer name for print service
     printer = hp8000

          ; print command
     print command = lp -o "A4 tray4" -d hp8000 %s

          ; print service description
     comment = HP LaserJet 8000 DN (A4)

;/* -------------------------------------------------------------------- */
; /*         (smb.conf.hplj8000dn)
;/*              service.                                                */

     ; include generic print service parameters
include = /opt/samba/lib/conf/conf.printers/smb.conf.print

     ; printer name for print service
printer = hplj8000dn

     ; print service description
comment = HP LaserJet 8000 DN

     ; printer driver associated with print service
printer driver = HP LaserJet 8000 Series PS