Strange Sharing problem

Nothinman nm666 at home.com
Fri Jun 2 21:54:57 GMT 2000

Here's a rundown of the problem:

If a client with IE[45] and shell enhancements(HTML/pretty explorer)
browses my samba server via UNC path it goes _really_ slow, I'm talking
clicking on a folder takes ~15-30 seconds to actually select it, through
a mapped drive seems fine,I've seen NT4/Win95 clients without those
"enhancements" browse it perfectly speedily. The strange part is that I
usually(I havn't looked to verify it's always, but I'm thinking it is)
see in my log files "[2000/05/01 01:08:08, 0]
smbd/service.c:make_connection(209)  <client hostname> (<client IP>)
couldn't find service shar" provided the share name was "share"(i.e. the
last letter is getting chopped off somewhere).

I'm not sure if this is a Samba bug or Windows but has anyone else seen
this and perhaps know a workaround?

If this has been answered before, I apologize I did look through the
archives (albeit briefly =) ) and didn't find anything.
I'm running Samba 2.0.7 on Debian 2.2(frozen branch) with 2.2.14 kernel
and it was installed with apt-get, not compiled from source.
--
I say we put the digital back in Digital Millenium Copyright Act:
Everybody raise a finger!