Client frequent disconnection + strange logs

David Collier-Brown David.Collier-Brown at canada.sun.com
Fri Jul 21 12:22:42 GMT 2000

François Désarménien wrote:
| in the log.machine, I find at the same timestamp close requests,
| followed by two line of the form:
| [timestamp]lib/doscalls.c:dos_ChDir(336) dos_ChDir to
/var/sauvegarde
| [timestamp]connexion closed for user compta
| and then a reconnection to the same user, at the same timestamp.

        Hmmn, people seem to be reporting that a lot these days...
        Normally it indicates one of
                - an error on the client
                - the client timing out
                - an error seen by the client
        One commentator had a bad hub, another only saw
        it on a particular machine, others didn'd see
        anything unique that might cause it...

        Can you look at your net with a snooper (eg, etherial,
        tcpdump) and look for suspicious packets just before the
        disconnection?  The chap with the bad hub was seeing (if
        memory serves) truncated packets.

| [timestamp]PAM_pwdb: (login) authentication failure;
        (uid 0) -> compta for samba service

        This look like a normal failure reported by the pam module

--dave
Work: (905) 415-2849 Home: (416) 223-8968 Email: davecb at canada.sun.com