upgrade

andrew morgan morgan at orst.edu
Fri Jul 21 01:33:23 GMT 2000

On Fri, 21 Jul 2000, law wrote:

> Hi,
> Is it possible to install 2 versions of samba running on the same machine
> and have them both attached to the same NT PDC?  I am planning on upgrading
> Samba, but didn't want to interrupt the service while doing so, and wanted
> to test out the new version anyway.

I don't think you can run two different versions at the same time because
they need to bind to the same ports to listen for connections.  However,
you could install a newer version of samba in another directory, stop the
old version, and start the new version.  If you run into trouble, just
switch back to the old version.  This will be much simpler if you are
*not* using a packaged install (rpm, deb, etc).

If you really need to test it, you'll probably need to do so on another
machine.  However, I haven't had much trouble using the same smb.conf file
between different versions.  Just look at the CHANGES files and see if
your favorite options have been modified...  :)

	Andy