Backing up Win32 Clients over a network

Keith G. Murphy keithmur at mindspring.com
Thu Jul 20 15:37:53 GMT 2000

Chuck Siu wrote:

> I am trying to create a network wide backup scheme using Samba for a
> network of about 60 Win32 clients in our LAN.  I was wondering if it is
> possible to use smbclient to automatically search the entire network for
> shares with a common prefix naming convention and using a wildcard such as
> backup_*, automatically mount the shares, and use smbtar for backup
> purposes?  Has anyone done this before?  .

If you are using Linux as your backup host, you might look at the
alternative of using smbfs.  That way, you mount the Win32 client shares
and they look just like native filesystems.  You can then use whatever
backup technique you like (I like afio, personally).  Not that smbfs
never has problems...

As far as the common prefix...  I guess you could have a script search
through /var/samba/browse.dat.