smbd died - why?

Matthew Halliday matthewh at fesa.co.uk
Thu Jul 20 15:27:09 GMT 2000

Hi out there...
We just had a hub go down in spectacular fashion - lots of smoke, VERY
bad smell, no network connection, melted plastic - very exciting stuff
on a dull afternoon!

But - it took out the smbd daemon and all those processes running from
the affected PC's with it.  Why would it do that?  I couldn't get the
smbd to start either by "killall -HUP inetd" or by "/usr/sbin/smbd -D".
And then after about 15 minutes, I was able to start it with "killall
-HUP inetd" and people could log in again.  Is this to do with
broadcasts and timeouts or am I missing something.  It's happened once
before, but we don't know what caused that.

Any help would be appreciated for the future.

Thanks
Matt Halliday
Unless otherwise agreed expressley in writing by Fesa UK Limited, this communication should be treated as confidential and the information contained therein may not be used or disclosed except for the purpose for which it was sent.  If you are not the intended recipient of this communication please contact the sender immediately.
WARNING:  Computer viruses can be transmitted by e-mail.  The recipient should check this e-mail and any attachments for the presence of viruses.  Fesa UK Limited accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this e-mail.
This e-mail and and attachments may not be copied and forwarded without the written consent of Fesa UK Limited .  In the event of copying or forwarding, the recipient will be required to idemnify Fesa UK Limited against any claim for loss or damage caused by any virus or otherwise.