intermittent browsing

David Collier-Brown David.Collier-Brown at canada.sun.com
Thu Jul 20 11:56:55 GMT 2000

Lloyd Baldwinwrote:
| When first installed, both machines appeared in workgroup Sun [...]
| However, after using Samba for a couple of weeks, we have found that
| the Sun workgroup only appears in the browser intermittently on most
| of the pcs. You might see it on one pc but not on a pc next door.
| Tomorrow, you might be able to see it on either or both.

	Hmmn: sounds like the browse lists aren't getting fully
	populated, possibly after elections.

	Try setting the samba servers to win the browse-master
	elections, as they are more likely to stay up than
	the usual masters (typically machines with the newest
	releases of NT on the net)

	There's some discussion of winning elections in section 5.1.3 of
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/samba/chapter/book/ch05_01.html

--dave
Work: (905) 415-2849 Home: (416) 223-8968 Email: davecb at canada.sun.com